Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Leaving lead behind, moving to LiFePO4 on our Trimaran

Thought I might document our conversion from old school lead to Lithium on our 11m Trimaran. I'll try and keep this as uptodate as possible.

Bit of background first, my wife and I have been liveaboards for 4 years now, in the comfort of the marina, but are looking to sail off into the sunset..when thats a little easier than it is now. With that in mind, and to save cash, we are moving to a mooring ball soon, so fully self contained and self reliance required 🙂

Currently our boat has 2 x 6v 230Ahr leads for a house bank, and a separate start battery for the 30hp engine, and were replacing that with a 360 Ahr pack of CALB CA180's in 2P4S configuration.

We are going to have around 700w of solar running through two paralled 30A Midnite kid controllers with the current shunt attachment ( Midnite MNWBJR ) We also have a 200a Alternator built by Rod Collins from Compass Marine, and it will be regulated by a Wakespeed WS500, talking to the BMS via CAN.

Heres our floating home.

Goodies that turned up today... 🙂

The alternator...

philtao has reacted to this post.
philtao

Nice looking boat!  She must be fast...  Let me know if you fly by BOI, we could catch-up for a beer.

It sounds like you are all set... just have to connect it all together.

Bon courage and keep us posted on progress
Philippe

Great pictures by the way - thanks

Quote from philtao on 24/11/2021, 5:34 pm

Nice looking boat!  She must be fast...  Let me know if you fly by BOI, we could catch-up for a beer.

It sounds like you are all set... just have to connect it all together.

Bon courage and keep us posted on progress
Philippe

Great pictures by the way - thanks

She goes okay :), would go much better with less of life's accoutrement onboard lol

We are going to try and get up your way after xmas, we'd love to stop by.

just connect it all together... oh if it was that easy! House bank is in the engine compartment at the moment, the worst place for LFP, so I have to find another place for the pack, and all the de/construction that goes along with that. We dont have an external mount of any sort for our solar, we just throw them out on the tramps when we anchor... not ideal. Alternator mount needs finalising, its mostly made but not finished yet. We are going to keep the stock alt to charge the start battery and be integrated in to the LFP system so it provides some power should there be a LFP cutout event. Not much to do if you say it quickly 🙂

Got the alternator mounted up today, small engines in even smaller engine rooms...ugh!

Mounts and pulley all custom made as these parts/setup don't exist for a Lombardini 30hp. Luckily I'm a CAD designer/CNC programmer, so this is everyday stuff for me. 🙂

philtao and Skokie have reacted to this post.
philtaoSkokie

A quick question for the TAO hive mind, is there anything special about the comms cables from the BMS to the LED panel and the screen?, they are way way to long for my setup, can I replace them with shorter ones?, or get them shortened?

Nothing special.  

BMS --> LED: standard Ethernet Cat5 cable

BMS --> Monitor: RJ11 / RJ12 6P4C (6 positions / 4 connected) - cable with 4 wires

They can be shortened, just make sure the wires are connected the same way as the original (same wire color to the same RJ11 or RJ45 pin)