Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Charge Cycle Management via CAN bus?

Hello, I have been reading the manuals for the BMS and have a couple of questions before i place a order. It has almost every function I have been looking for, and even a understandable manual 😉

Is charge cycle management possible using CAN bus instead of relays, I see that the normal triggers show up in the CAN bus settings, but cant see if charge cycle management is possible. If not, is that something you are planning to add in the near future. I would like to prevent the hassle of setting up relays controls to all chargers when i already have CAN bus communication if possible.

D.

At the moment Charge Cycle Management has no option to limit current / voltage via CAN message.  It is a good idea and it is not too hard to add (I record that as a feature request for the next release - probably within a month).  In any case I think it is a good idea to also control the Victron equipment with the wired remote control using triggers set at slightly different levels than the ones used for CAN control... just in case one of the equipment on the CAN bus takes the bus down, a wire gets disconnected... (Wakespeed gives the same advice)

Philippe

Sounds good, then it will for sure be ready this spring when I will need it. The problem with the smart solar 100/30 regulators i use is that they don't have separate on off switch, they use this cable: https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-non-inverting-remote-on-off-cable connected to the CAN bus connector rendering it unusable for other communication. My plan is to use a dual bus setup with both high and low charge disconnects, so the batteries will be protected even if the CAN bus fails for some reason. 

D.

I also have a Victron solar regulator without the terminals for remote on/off.  I have installed a small relay between the solar panel and the regulator using the NC contacts (normally closed, so that it uses no power when ON).  this relay is commanded by the BMS via one of the positions of a 3 way switch - the other two positions are to override the BMS by forcing ON or OFF.  In any case this is a good thing to have as it is usually not recommended to disconnect the solar regulator from the battery when the solar panels are connected and supplying high current.  I have planned to write an article on that topic and if you want I can draw a schematic now and send it to you beforehand.

Philippe

Skokie has reacted to this post.
Skokie