Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Skokie - 12V - 460Ah - 2p4s - Victron Multiplus, MPPT, Orion Tr - Valeo Alternator - „Status=Plan“

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from Skokie on 19/02/2022, 6:58 am

The UVP Relais is the second and last fire wall against under voltage.

And you can add early warning in the BMS so that you are aware of any situation that need your attention.  Giving you plenty of time to fix the problem before any of the safety actions are required.

But one day you are not onboard to take action you may need one of these safety measures to protect your battery and your installation.  That's why it is important to regularly run a BMS simulation to make sure that all these measures are effective (programmed properly, wiring OK, relay or other protection equipment operational) 

Quote from molly on 19/02/2022, 7:28 am

ok, I understand.

perhaps it is an other idea not to cut ALL electrical loads with the smart protect, only the non vital systems  like frigerator, most of the cabin lights ...a little bit earlier. than you can use your navigational gear longer.

at the moment for my installation I am thinking about using a bigger starter battery with a battery switch wich connect it to all vital loads. in case of emergency when the lifepo4 is in UVP, you can switch immedeately to the starter battery and all navigation gear works. this gives you allot of time to make the lifepo4 running again. if then even your motor ist running you will have enough energy to navigate for hours and at the same time  you are able to fix any problems with  lifepo4 and load it.

for this solution an additional manual switch to cut the lifepo4 from the loads is a good idea. than there will be no short circuit between the starter battery and the lifepo4, when the BMS turns off the UVP relay

And the BMS can do that for you.  It can command the connection of the starter battery to the vital loads just before disconnecting the lithium battery 

Hello all

meanwhile I have installed my Tao BMS System on my Yacht Skokie. It was a huge job. Lack of space, lots of devices and wirings of about 95 qmm took lots of hours planning and realization. I didn't count, but my estimation is higher than 250 hours of work by myself. Done.

With this post I upload the actual schematic (2.5.22) and other documentation, mainly wiring diagrams for later fault searching. 

My system has two main strings: Load and charge.

For the charge string I use a Kilovac 200 which is direct driven by the intern relay of the tao BMS. Actual the chargers are solar panels, wind generator, alternator on the engine and a Victron Multiplus. By exception the Multiplus is connected on the load side, as it is as well an AC inverter.

The load string is controlled by a Blue Sea ML-RBS driven by a Tao latching trigger. Both relays should never switch if everything runs controlled. They are only the last instance for shut down of the battery. 

Via Can-bus the Tao Monitor is connected to a Victron Cerbo GX. The Cerbo GX is able to control the Solar MPPT and the Multiplus by VE.direct connection. The CAN configuration will take still some time and is really something for experts and in my installation still with some problems to clarify. 

The Valeo alternator is charging directly the lead acid starter battery and controlled by an Orion Tr smart charging the Lithium Battery as well. 

Now the test phase will be continued. Hope everything runs fine.

Awaiting your questions and comments to help for optimization of the system.

Jens , SY SKOKIE

Uploaded files:
philtao and Leigh have reacted to this post.
philtaoLeigh

I am impressed by the thinking that has gone in your plan and the quality of the diagrams.  I need to do that for my boat.

I like the way you use the H1/H2 and L1/L2 leds to have 3 levels of high / low voltage warning.

Is it normal that high voltage triggers 2 and 3 have the same ON and OFF values?

For the CANbus setting you need to set the values for the triggers 14, 15 and 16 that you have already prepared.  Then set the CANbus voltage and current limits for each trigger.  If not clear, open a new forum thread with your questions. 

I see that Victron Multiplus is connected to the load bus and is only controlled by the CerboGX (CANbus).  So if the CerboGX or CANbus is down the BMS has no other way to stop the charge.  Have you thought about using the Multiplus auxiliary inputs for the BMS to stop the charge (create a high voltage trigger with a voltage a bit higher than the trigger used to send the CANbus stop charge command - like that it will be activated only if the CANbus command has no effect).

Leigh and Skokie have reacted to this post.
LeighSkokie

Hello Phil,

thanks for your comments and your great and always quick support during the installation phase! I will come back to you after a short sleep, because in D its already late in the evening.

I like to get questions also from anybody else.

Hello @philtao

I will go asap for your advise you gave me few days ago to control the Multiplus directly with the BMS:

"I see that Victron Multiplus is connected to the load bus and is only controlled by the CerboGX (CANbus).  So if the CerboGX or CANbus is down the BMS has no other way to stop the charge.  Have you thought about using the Multiplus auxiliary inputs for the BMS to stop the charge (create a high voltage trigger with a voltage a bit higher than the trigger used to send the CANbus stop charge command - like that it will be activated only if the CANbus command has no effect)."

It happened that I shut down the Tao monitor in order to use the PC/Monitor Interface for my Laptop. While the Can Bus was disengaged I made some changes on the Touch GX (monitor of the Cerbo GX) and suddenly the Multi began to charge with increasing voltage with more than 14,4 V.
I could stop this immediately manually, but it should have been detected by the BMS and shut down the Multi by "hardware relay".
Fortunately I was present an could act.

Link:  Multi Aux

@skokie

You should set the bulk / absorption voltage of the Multiplus (and other chargers) slightly above the 100% SOC voltage set in the BMS.  Like that you know that whatever happens the charger voltage will never go above that value.

The chargers bulk/absorption voltage has to be higher that the 100% SOC voltage set in the BMS to be sure that the chargers do not stop charging before the BMS detects the battery as full.  How much above depends on where the charger measures the voltage - if it is directly on the battery then 0.02 to 0.04 V should be enough, if it is at the charger's terminals, then it has to be more to account for voltage drop between the charger and the battery.

PreviousPage 2 of 2